In preparation for the onslaught of New Years Resolutions, I’ve decided to share some of my best advice for getting through those early days of eating less, eating cleaner and eating more in tune with your hunger levels! Many people think that eating “small meals” throughout the day is the key to weight loss success. However, most people that eat these meals between breakfast, lunch, and dinner are seriously underestimating their “snack” calories.
Snacks should be no more than 200-300 calories consisting of a combination of protein, good for you carbs and a little fat. A good snack will carry you through the day without energy dips during the day. A good snack will prevent you from bingeing. A good snack will fill you up and keep you full for at least 2-3 hours. A bad snack will have you hungry in 30 minutes or worse, it will make you hungrier!
Here are my favorite snacks that help keep my lifestyle running smoothly. You can mix and match the combinations as well, like Sugar Snap Peas with Hummus or Celery with Peanut Butter.
- Apple (1/2 large or 1 small) with Mini Babybel Light*
- Celery and Carrots with Hummus
- 1/2 cup of berries with Low Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- Ezekial Bread with 1-2 tbsp of Peanut Butter All Natural
- 1 cup Spinach with Protein Powder (Less than 110 calories) with Unsw. Almond Milk
- Banana with 7-20 Whole Almonds
- Sugar Snap Peas with Low Fat String Cheese
* I am newly working with one of my favorite brands of all time, The Laughing Cow. Stay tuned for the official announcement in the New Year. I first used their products when my mom made my lunch in elementary school. I’ve continued to use them in my diet on weekly basis ever since.