Buying groceries is stressful. Even the grocery lists provided in magazines for weekly meal planning seem exhausting. It would cost a fortune to follow to those things to a T. I mean really, do you need fresh parsley, dill and cilantro? Sure if I could buy one serving, but that is rarely the case. Come Friday lunch, I’m always relying on my creativity.
But I want to let you all in on my secret to creating a healthy meal, when you feel like there is nothing in your apartment or house. Be prepared! Make a list of necessities and always have them available. These foods are most importantly low risk for bingeing given their portions are already measured and nutritional value. These are my perishable staples that I keep stocked at all times that have a shelf left longer than 2 weeks (some last up to 6 months).
- Ezekial Bread: Keep this in the fridge. I use Ezekial bread for open faced sandwiches lunch, in the morning as toast and even chopped up as croutons!
- Frozen Veggie Burgers: These go well as a substitute for lunch meat that doesn’t go bad! Chop them up or eat them as a burger, veggie burgers will keep forever.
- Frozen Veggies like Spinach and Peppers: These are great to toss in a stir fry with rice, or as a sandwich topper even.
- The Laughing Cow Wedges: Lunch meat needs a buddy, and the wedges make a delicious combination. By the end of the week, I’m out of lettuce usually and a triangle makes my sandwiches warm, comforting and delicious. I add them to my rice as well for more flavor and a creamy texture. A wedge with eggs or turkey, makes me a happy girl.
- Eggs: Another protein that rarely goes bad. Over easy for breakfast, or chopped up in a salad for lunch, eggs fill me up.
Here is a sample meal idea that I created my staples and some salsa I had in the fridge.
- 1 slice of Ezekial Bread
- 1 The Laughing Cow Wedge Light Queso Fresco & Chipotle
- 1 Food For Life Veggie Burger
- 1 tbsp Salsa
This image does not do this lunch justice. It was so delicious, I may make it on Monday and Tuesdays! I paired this with a few cucumber slices I had left! Have an amazing weekend everyone!