I love using resistance bands during my workouts for variety, especially when I travel. They weigh next to nothing and take up minimal space in your luggage. This Tread and Shred workout features an amazing cardio and strength training workout that alternates between the treadmill and using the resistance band. It is a total body workout that focuses on sculpting your abdominals, tightening up your legs all while helping reduce lower back pain and and reduce your slouching shoulders from spending hours at a computer. Check out Tread & Shred Workout #1 here.
Click the image above to watch the video for a demo on how to do each move! So much easier to watch a demo than read it, don’t you think? Can’t watch YouTube at work? Keep reading for the workout details for a written preview.
If you don’t have a treadmill, you can do this workout outside very easily at a track, 1/2 mile loop or out and back route.
Warm up with an easy 5 minute jog and then get right into the cardio circuit.
- 2 minutes Easy Jog Pace 5-7 mph
- 30 second Sprint 9-12 mph
Repeat 6 rounds for a total of 15 minutes of cardio.
Strength Circuit: Do each move consecutively for 1 minute without resting in between. I demonstrate the moves using a step/stackable workout bench but have provided alternatives below if you do not have one.
- Leg Extensions with band secured underneath second step of a stackable workout bench. You could also sit down in a chair, place the legs of the chair on top of the band, slip feet into the handles and do this move if you don’t have access to a workout step.
- Inner Thigh Squeeze with band secured underneath second step of a stackable workout bench. Similar to the option above, wrap the band around the back of your chair, extend legs long and perform move while sitting up rather than laying down.
- Bicep Curls standing on resistance band or keeping it underneath your bench for added challenge.
- Shoulder Press standing on resistance band.
- Chest Press with resistance band secured around a heavy object at waist or shoulder height.
- Low Row with resistance band secured around a heavy object at waist height.
- Oblique Twist with resistance band secured around a heavy object at waist height.
- Squat with Side Leg Lift using resistance band.