Hi friends! As one of the first fitness YouTuber’s and Boston’s first successful fitness influencers I had no idea what I was doing back in 2009! I didn’t go to business school, I was a personal trainer and a creator with a social media account. I wanted to become a reporter on television. It was very odd for me to try to sell a product when I just wanted to report the news! Well, fast forward almost 15 years and I’ve built a successful online fitness and wellness business on multiple social media platforms. I’ve tried everything. I’ve been around for a long time, like before instagram even existed, and I’m here to tell you what I wish I knew back then. So if you love fitness, maybe you teach fitness classes or already have an online wellness business or had a reel go viral on Facebook or Instagram and wondering how to capitalize on this new audience, you’re in the right place!
I’m not only going to tell you what I wish I knew, but I’m also going to tell you how to do what I didn’t in the beginning so you don’t have to worry about trial and error. I’ll explore effective strategies to build a robust online presence, focusing on the power of email lists and the dynamic use of social media to engage and grow your audience
What I Wish I Knew #1
The power of any online business is in the email list.
I did not realize the importance of converting my viewers on YouTube into customers but the first step is capturing their email address. I had 200,000 YouTube channel subscribers but 0 emails. I knew my target audience I just didn’t know I needed their emails to make the real money. I didn’t think my followers would buy a home gym program but I was WRONG! I was at the mercy of the algorithm. As a top fitness and nutrition coach for the FASTer Way To Fat Loss, I have since learned that you need the emails to make money beyond sponsorships, sponsors, advertising and affiliate sales which we’ll get to later.
Building a Strong Email List is Your Foundation for Success
- Why Email Lists Matter: Unlike fleeting social media trends, an email list is a stable and direct line of communication with your audience. It’s your own, uninfluenced by algorithm changes or platform policies.
- Starting Your List: Begin by offering something valuable – a free workout guide, nutritional tips, or exclusive content in exchange for email sign-ups.
- Nurturing Relationships: Regularly send out engaging content, updates about your services, and personalized messages to keep your subscribers informed and connected.
What I Wish I Knew #2
Build a social media strategy.
I was a wing it type girl when Instagram first came out! I posted whatever I felt like without much thought or purpose as to who I was catering towards. I knew I was in the fitness niche and fitness industry but I didn’t care about engagement rate! I thought hashtags were annoying. I didn’t want to lean into reels as a content creator because I wasn’t good at dancing and pointing to words seemed stupid. Silly me… Here’s how to level up your IG game.
- Consistent Posting: Regular posts keep your audience engaged and help establish your brand as a reliable source of fitness inspiration and information. Post daily if you can!
- Trending Sounds and Visuals: Use popular sounds and hashtags to increase the visibility of your posts. This is particularly effective in platforms like Instagram and TikTok.
- Engagement is Key: Encourage comments, shares, and interaction. Respond to messages and comments to build a community around your brand.
- Educational Content: Share workout tips, nutritional advice, and wellness strategies. This positions you as an expert in the field and a go-to resource for fitness knowledge.
- Entertaining and Inspirational: Mix in fun, lighthearted content, and personal stories to create a well-rounded social media presence that resonates with your followers.
- Watch Time and SEO: Pay attention to the analytics. Longer watch times signal engaging content, while understanding SEO can boost your visibility on search engines and within platform searches.
Embarking on an online fitness business journey has been a thrilling and rewarding endeavor. By building a strong email list and using social media strategically, I’ve created passive income and brand awareness. Remember, your journey is about inspiring and empowering others through fitness, and with these tools, you’re well on your way to making a significant impact.
What I Wish I Knew #3
There’s plenty of room at the top.
This one is more mindset. I was friends with the gals from Tone It Up and Blogilates. They both had their own fitness programs and fitness apps. I didn’t create one but instead promoted the one from TIU because I didn’t want to compete with them. Little did I know, I wasn’t competing. There was always enough room for all of us and to support each other!
Curious to know more? Frequently I have friends who reach out to me to ask to have coffee to talk about how they can use social media to grow their businesses. I created this coffee chat Crib Sheet so I could give this same experience and intel to others! Grab your copy here.
Included in this guide you’ll find strategies to promote your lead magnet to get emails exactly. You’ll learn the exact strategies I’ve implemented to help my IG followers grow 50% in the last month and my overall reach by 1500%!
Curious how to build that email list? What about how to create the lead magnets? Grab your copy here now.
Send me a DM on instagram @SarahFit with any questions you might have!