Do you tend to over indulge on the weekend? If so, you are in good company. For this reason, I opt to do my “long” workouts on Monday or Tuesday if possible. If you did not do a long cardio session yesterday, I highly recommend you do it today in order to burn up the extra calories consumed over the weekend before they get stored somewhere more permanently.
Here is the workout I did yesterday but feel free to modify for your fitness level:
- 20 minutes: Easy Warm Up Run (HR 75-80%)
- 1 minute: Run Very Fast (HR 90%)
- 1 minute: Walk (Recover)
- Repeat 10x for a total of 20 minutes
- 10 minute: Easy Cool Down Run (I still wasn’t home and walked the last 5-10 minutes)
When I got home, boy was I thirsty and hungry! I modified a delicious recipe from the May issue of Real Simple.
I made Orange Kabobs with grilled zucchini and sweet potatoes. To make the chicken here is the recipe I used:
- 1 lb Chicken Tenderloins
- 1 Navel Orange (Cut into 10-16 pieces)
- 1/2 Onion (Real Simple says red onion but I didn’t have any so I used vidalia)
- 1/2 tsp of Cumin
- 1/4 tsp of Cayenne
- 1/4 tsp of Pepper
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cut up chicken, orange and onion. In a large bowl mix the spices and olive oil. Toss together all ingredients. Thread pieces of chicken, orange and onion onto skeweralternating. I used metal but if you use wooden sticks make sure you soak them in water for at least 20 minutes. Spray grill with Olive Oil or other cooking spray to avoid chicken from sticking to the grill rack.
Cook on medium for about 12-16 minutes. Make sure the middle pieces of chicken get cooked. Enjoy with favorite grilled veggie and sweet potato or corn for a perfect warm weather dinner!