Diastasis Recti. If you have never been pregnant, you probably are not familiar with the term. If you have children, there is a chance you’re not familiar with it either. Essentially, it is when your belly sticks out because the space between your left and right abdominal muscles has widened often due to pregnancy. The connective tissue stretches and needs rehab to come back together again for the appearance of a flat stomach.
Luckily, I have the moves you need to fix yours below.
If you can fit more than two fingers wide between your abs an inch above your belly button, then you likely have one. You can check out Sarah Haley’s video for more details.
I lucked out and did not get one with Tommy.
My abs still need to regain their strength however and it’s important to let them heal first! I researched what exercises I should start with and found that most of the experts agree on a few basics; the bridge, heel taps and side planks regardless of having a diastasis recti or not. Ramona Braganza, who helped Zoe Saldana get back in shape after giving birth, reached out to me to share Phase 1 of her 3-2-1 Baby Bulge Be Gone program here on SarahFit.com and since I was interested, I thought you guys would be too.
If you are just getting back into exercise after having a baby and have a diastasis recti or not, here are 5 exercises that you can start with:
5 Exercises from BBBG Phase 1
Phase 1 of the 3-2-1 Baby Bulge Be Gone program lasts anywhere from 2-4 weeks and puts an emphasis on further core training while beginning work on cardio and strength training. 20 minutes of daily exercise can be done in the home with minimal equipment.
The Bridge – Builds strength in the glutes, activates the pelvic floor, promotes circulation to the healing tissues and provides a gentle inversion to encourage the internal organs to settle back in their place.
- Lying on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on floor. Raise hips by pressing into feet and squeezing glutes. Pause at the top then lower back to start Repeat 10 times for 3 sets.
The Clam –Builds strength in the glute medius, activates the pelvic floor, and engages the deep abdominals.
- Lying on your side place one leg on top of the other, knees slightly bent. Keep feet touching as you separate your knees by raising your top leg. Pause then lower, repeat 10 times for 3 sets.
Alternating Heel tap – Builds strength in the deep muscles of the core, engages the transverse the muscle that cinches in the waist and builds strength in the lower back.
- Lying face up hands beside your body knees bent to 90 degrees, legs raised and feet flexed. On an exhale, lower your left leg keeping the bend to tap the heel on the ground then on an inhale raise the leg. Make sure to keep lower back on the ground. Repeat on the right side. Repeat 20 times in total do 3 sets.
Superwoman – Builds strength in the Back and Glutes promoting a stronger spine, and improves posture
- Begin lying face down on the floor legs straight and arms extended overhead. On an inhale slowly lift chest arms and legs off the floor as high as you comfortably can hold for a couple seconds then lower back to start. Repeat 10 times for 3 sets.
Modified Side Plank – Builds strength in the deeper muscles of the Core and the side muscles of the abs as well as the lower back.
- Begin lying on your side, with weight in your forearm, knees bent stacked one on top of the other. On an exhale lift your hips pause then lower back to start. Repeat 10 times for 3 sets.
Perform this bonus exercise if you don’t have Diastasis Recti and have waited at least 6 weeks after a C-section.
Modified Plank – builds strength in the deeper muscles of the core and the lower back
- Begin kneeling on all fours bend elbows walk hands out and prop yourself on your forearms lower hips to form a straight line from head to feet. Hold for 30 seconds then lower down. Repeat 3 sets.
About 3-2-1 Baby Bulge Be Gone:
The 3-2-1 Baby Bulge Be Gone is a program designed to achieve weight loss, shape and tone muscles and strengthen core to give you those flat abs again within a 12-week series. The 3 phases progress moms safely, and the 3-2-1 BBBG along with the 3-2-1 Personalized Nutrition plan gives them the calories they need while allowing for steady weight loss of a pound or two a week. http://ramonabraganza.com/321-fitness/baby-bulge-be-gone/
Connect With Ramona on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or right on her website. Note, I have not tried any of the other phases!
[…] 5 Ab Exercises to Do Post Pregnancy […]
[…] 3. Ab Exercises to Do Postpartum […]