Yesterday, I received the new Mini Babybel flavors from The Laughing Cow. I had bought them a few times on my own from Whole Foods and already knew I loved them. However, I was inspired to try to make something new for a 4th of July BBQ!I bought lean ground turkey this week and decided I would make a turkey burger using what I had in my fridge. This meant no bun, but since I try to eat less than 200 calories worth of carbs for dinner, this was ok.
BBQ Cheddar Apple Turkey Burger
- First I preheated my grill and measured out 4 oz of lean ground turkey and formed individual patties. I like mine pretty thin.
- The next step is optional but I added my own grill spices that come premixed so I can’t tell you what exactly I added. It is a smokehouse blend that I was sent last year for a review. Place the burgers on the grill and close the lid. Let them sit for about 4 minutes and then flip.
- After another 3-4 minutes, add about 1 tbsp of BBQ sauce on top of the burger. Depending on how hot your grill is and how thick your patty is, cooking times will vary. Choose a BBQ sauce without High Fructose Corn Syrup!
- Now, slice one of the new flavors of the Mini Babybel Original Sharp or White Cheddar. In the picture above, I just used 1/2 of a Mini Babybel. Place it on top and let sit for another 1-2 minutes or until melted to your liking.
- Once your burger is no longer pink in the middle take it off the grill and add a slice of Fuji apple or other favorite.
6. Feel free to add more BBQ sauce if you would like as well as a 100% whole wheat bun or sprouted grain like Ezekial.
I paired my burger with a quickly made salad that consisted of romain lettuce, toasted almonds and 1/2 cup of chopped Fuji apple. I used Trader Joe’s Champagne Vinaigrette but was not a huge fan to be honest. It was too salty. I later checked the sodium and saw it had over 400 mg! Needless to say, I will not be buying it again. A light blue cheese would have been divine. The two went well together though. I had another serving of salad to fill me up.
This right here was the perfect bite. I actually had a bite of the cheese earlier in the day and used the remaining for my dinner. Feel free to use one Mini Babybel to top two burgers. I used the Sharp Original but plan to try this again today with the White Cheddar.
FUN ANNOUNCEMENT ALERT!!! Would you like to meet Rihanna in person, back stage at one of her concerts? Perhaps in Europe or Las Vegas??? NIVEA and Rihanna are giving away daily prizes of NIVEA products, weekly prizes of Rihanna tickets and trips including a 4th of July Vegas weekend including tickets to Rihanna’s show at Mandalay Bay. Go check out the details on Facebook to possibly win a trip of a lifetime. Who doesn’t love to rock out to SOS? http://on.fb.me/jFup9D
Disclaimer: I am a community leader for The Laughing Cow. To find out more, check out this post!
Jill is Active says
This recipe looks amazing!! Definitely a must try for me. I love putting fruit on unexpected things. Apples taste so good on everything (at least for me!)
I love this! I want to eat it everyday!
Sarah, you are such an inspiration! i am having this for dinner tonight, it looks delicious!
Looks to die for! I’ve never heard of this idea!