Want free groceries this month? You just might get lucky if you have one of these items in your cart!
In honor of Earth Month, grocery stores nationwide are showing customers how their everyday earth friendly choices make big impacts on their diet and the health of the planet. “Every Cart Counts” is a program where if you have one or more earth friendly participating products in your cart, they may pick up the tab. Participating grocery stores in Massachusetts include Shaws and Star Market.*
While April 22nd is Earth Day, the entire month of April is Earth Month. I know I forget that what I eat doesn’t just affect my body but also our planet. I always find myself eating more vegetarian meals this month as a result.
I’ve always loved the saying that you vote with your dollar, and it’s so true at the grocery store which is why companies have begun to remove artificial colors and ingredients from their products and big box grocery stores now carry more organic and non-GMO products than ever!
Brands like Earthbound Farms, Silk and Horizon are committed to helping you eat healthier but also understand the impact of our diets on the planet.
- Earthbound Farm was founded over 30 years ago on a backyard garden in Carmel Valley with a commitment to farm organically. They currently have almost 50,000 acres of certified organic farmland; sustainable farming and keeping synthetic chemicals out of the environment.
- Last week I shared how producing a half gallon of Silk plant-based beverages requires on average 77 percent less water than producing the same amount on conventional dairy milk! They are also verified by the Non GMO Project’s Product Verification Program.
- Horizon was founded more than 20 years ago. Their founders helped pioneer the organic dairy movement and became the first company to supply organic milk nationwide. They believe in bringing the very best organic ingredients, which is why they offer Certified Organic and Made with Organic products. Certified Organic products have 95% organic ingredients and can show the USDA organic seal. Made with Organic products have at least 70% organic ingredients and call out the main organic ingredients on pack.
Organic farming methods produce food without harming the land. First, it reduces the amounts of toxic chemicals released into the environment and in the soil. Second, they also protect our water supply from contaminants and use less of it. Third, they conserve energy by using less fossil fuels. This cuts down on environmental pollution.
Look for these signs around the grocery store to celebrate earth month.
Here is a favorite smoothie recipe you can make with some of the participating brands:
Berry Nutty Smoothie
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk
- 1/2 cup Earthbound Farm Frozen Blueberries
- 1/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Kale
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter
- handful of ice cubes
Combine all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!
Vote with your dollars this month and buy from companies you trust.
*Other stores nationally include Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Shaws, Acme, Jewel-Osco, United, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Star Market, and Carrs/Safeway.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Safeway. The opinions and text are all mine. Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.