Just a Little 41 Week Update…

So, we are at the hospital. I elected to get induced at 41 weeks because Tommy was so large and I didn’t want to risk a larger baby and not be able to deliver vaginally.

The last time I was induced with Tommy it went very fast. I was given one dose of cytotec and that was enough to put me into full on labor. This time, not so much. I thought this would be faster but it’s been much slower. It’s currently 2:30 pm and we’ve got nothing… or at least it feels that way.

Let’s back up a bit, shall we?

40 weeks pregnant


I knew I’d have trouble going into labor naturally so I was determined to naturally induce myself. I had my membranes stripped twice, one at 40 weeks and once at 40+4 weeks. I was eating dates, I drank red raspberry leaf tea every morning, I had eggplant parmesan, I ate spicy food, I walked, I curb walked, and danced.

eggplant parmesan

I was going to get acupuncture (I did before my induction with Tommy which I think helped it go fast) but since I pulled him from daycare, I struggled to find a sitter to watch him during the day so that I could go and see someone. In hind sight, I wish I made more of an effort to make this work as I’m now terribly bored at the hospital and wishing I was anywhere but here.

I felt great all week. We spent lots of time at my sister’s pool and even walked to and from the Aquarium with the hope that the walking might push me into labor. It didn’t.


pregnant by the pool


So on Friday, I decided to just schedule an induction for Monday because I was getting quite stressed about my plans for Tommy’s care while I was in labor and at the hospital as well as the slow down in movement from the baby. I don’t want to vaginally birth a 10 lb baby at 42 weeks. My first induction was a positive experience so I figured this one would be as well.

Last night, we went out to dinner as a family of three for the last time at The Burro Bar South End which was delicious. It was very family friendly. They had crayons for Tommy, a cheap kids menu that he enjoyed and delicious cocktail menu. Did I mention unlimited homemade chips and salsa?


cocktail spicy food
41 weeks pregnant

last picture with Tommy before baby

We grabbed ice cream at Picco and walked home. Tommy went to bed around 9 pm which is super late but he slept until almost 8 am. I woke him up so that I could say goodbye. I cried about 10 tears and then was good.


heading to hospital

I’ve had one dose down there of cytotec and now we are just waiting to see if I need another or if we are going straight to pitocin which I didn’t need last time. Ahhh… the waiting game.

So that’s where we are… baby will be here soon I hope. I’m bored and hoping it moves a lot faster! I thought baby would already be here, boy was I wrong! Every story about quick labor seems like a dream right about now.

Share the Post:

Related Posts