Pre Tommy, I was totally self conscious of my body. I chose my blog name to be “Sarah Fit” because I liked to workout but didn’t always choose the right foods to eat. Shortly after creating the name, Instagram started and everyone was [FIRST NAME]Fit. Not claiming to be the first but I was definitely up there in 2008 however all these new people were legit jacked, ripped and SUPER fit. I just thought the name was easy to remember and now all I did was compare myself to others.
Jealousy is 100% the thief of joy.
I no longer felt like I looked “fit” enough to be Sarah Fit. I actually hated the name. People would send me boxes of granola to try and I could never stop at one small handful. I would get nut butters and healthy cookies and it just seemed like working from home with unlimited free food was a disaster for my “all or nothing” mentality at the time. Moderation is easier said than done for someone who has always loved sweets. As much as I tried to eat healthy, there was an unlimited supply of “healthy” food always in the kitchen that often was pretty calorie dense. I would workout and run but always felt like I needed to lose 5 or 10 pounds. It was a pretty defeating feeling that I couldn’t get my act together.
Since I got pregnant with Tommy, I’ve long blogged about how my relationship with food has changed. I finally feel confident in how I look and feel like I own my name again. I may not be the most fit person but I feel strong, and I like how I look. That matters more to me than a number on the scale.
The video below talks about what I’ve been doing differently that helped me get to where I am now. I talk about comparing pre Tommy “Sarah Fit” to now. I know some of the tips many of you will be not able to apply but a lot of them you will and I wish I could go back tell my younger self what I’ve learned.
If you don’t want to watch, here are the Cliff Notes:
- Breastfeeding -> I know this won’t apply to many of you but people ask what i’ve been doing and this has helped as it burns 400-500 calories a day still. I want to stop but I’m having a really hard time denying Tommy something that is so comforting and healthy for him.
- Eating more carbs.
- Less eating out.
- Having 1-2 glasses of wine a night vs binge drinking on Friday and Saturday.
- I’m not a cardio junkie anymore. Short HIIT workouts and strength training are where it’s at. I love spinning but that is interval training in between my strength days.
- Less sitting and more moving around. Chasing a toddler vs sitting a computer all day has kind of eliminated the snacking habit I mentioned above.
- I’m HAPPY! The happiest I’ve ever been. I think this helps 🙂
I hope you guys are able to find something helpful in this weeks video and if you’re curious what I eat and do for exercise each week or day, follow me on Instagram and check out my stories!