I have quite a few friends going on vacation this week. While in Cabo, I wanted to enjoy myself without screwing up my routine too much. I chose to do 40 minute workouts in the morning on the beach or in the resort’s gym using my workouts that I create for Barry’s. If you are going away or your regular schedule is screwed up thanks to New Years landing on a Wednesday, try this routine for a sweat-fest, calorie scorching workout.
You will need a treadmill and set of hand weights. This is an advanced routine. if you are a beginner, go to the best of your ability and modify the treadmill speeds as necessary.
- 0:00-2:00 Jog 5.0 – 6.0 mph
- 2:00-3:00 Jog 6.0-7.0 mph
- 3:00-4:00 Run 7.0-8.0 mph
- 4:00-5:00 Run 7.0-8.0 mph Incline 4.0%
- 5:00-6:00 Recover/Walk 4.0 mph Incline 8.0%
- 6:00-7:00 Run 7.0-8.0 mph Incline 8.0%
- 7:00-8:00 Recover/Walk 4.0 mph Incline 12.0%
- 8:00-9:00 Run 7.0-8.0 mph Incline 12.0%
- 9:00-10:00 Run 8.0-9.0 Incline 12.0%
- Walking Lunges with 10-15 lb dumbbells, 20 reps (40 total lunges)
- Bicep Curls with 10-15 lb dumbbells, 12-20 reps
- Single Leg Squat with one dumbbell in hands resting on chest, 12 reps on each leg (I like to sit down on a bench and stand back up).
- Russian Twist with 1 dumbbell, 20 reps
- Standing Overhead Tricep Extension with 1 dumbbell 15-20 lbs, 20 reps
- Sumo Squat with Overhead Press with 10-15 lb dumbbells, 12-20 reps
- Supermans, 12-20 reps holding for 3 counts at the top
- Forearm Plank, 1 minute hold
- Reverse Crunch, 15 reps
After you complete the first cardio segment, go right into the strength segment. Repeat cardio segment and strength segment after resting for 1-2 minutes for a 40 minute workout.
Are you going on vacation this week? I wish I was as I’m in “blahhh” mode. It’s been a struggle to get myself motivated to work since I got back from Cabo. Does vacation do this to you too?
o0o! I like this a lot. Specially the treadmill part. I get so bored on treadmills…that I haven’t been on one all winter!
Ashley @ Power, Love, and Self-Discipline says
Good looking workout -- can’t wait to try it!
I hate getting out of my routine when traveling!
Psst…New Year’s is on Wednesday 😉 I just got your book for my birthday and I’m loving it!
Lol… I can’t believe I wrote that!? My vacation brain-mode knew it was Wednesday but was dreading tomorrow and wrote Monday instead, perhaps hoping I wouldn’t do anything productive haha.
Ha! I feel ya. Love the new logo/design. And that your 404 error includes the word gnarly.
Sarah @ Licorice & Olives says
Love this! What a great workout. I am not on holidays but I can easily do this one at home with the treadmill replaced with some bike cardio. Thanks Sarah!
Great workout, going to try it! And love the picture 🙂
What a great workout!!! Thanks for sharing! I forgot how much inclines can challenge you.
This was great! I’d love to see more treadmill interval workouts -- especially given that I live in Saskatchewan where I’m tied to a treadmill until the -40 to -50 temperatures subside in late February!
Run Fast Travel Slow says
Love Barry’s and love this workout!! Headed on vacation today.. this will be perfect.