Looking for a new workout that will kick your butt? You’re in luck. As I mentioned earlier this week, I’m teaching a tabata class at a new gym in the South End. If you live in Boston, come and take the class with me but if not, here is a sample of what the class looks like and you can do on your own. All you need is a pair of dumbbells, preferably 10-15 lbs each, trust me! You do not want to go light.
If you do not know what a tabata interval is, it is a 4 minute interval circuit with 20 seconds of work, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times. You are going to complete 8 circuits. Each one consists of 2 moves. Alternate between move A and B so that you do each move for a total of 4 rounds each. To do this workout, download a free tabata timer app or use your gymboss.
Round #1 Warm Up
- Move A) Jumping Jacks
- Move B) High Knees
- A) Reverse Lunge, Alternating Legs (dumbbells optional)
- B) Jump Split Lunges
- A) 3 Bicep Curls with a Burpee (Do 2 bicep curls with 10-15 lbs dumbbells, then lower down and do a burped. Repeat.)
- B) Hover Jacks (Plank position, jump legs wider than hip width apart and then back together while keeping in high plank position.)
- A) Push Ups
- B) Renegade Row (Plank position holding 10-15 lb dumbbells in each hand. Row dumbbell up to your waist, alternating arms.)
- A) Alternating Side Lunges (dumbbells optional)
- B) Speed Skaters (Balancing on your left leg, jump as far as possible to the right, landing gently on right leg. Repeat on opposite leg.)
- A) Plank Bird Dog (Start in high plank position, lift right leg as you lift your left arm. Repeat on opposite side.)
- B) Soccer Taps (Quickly tap the top of your right foot to the top of a bench or step, alternating between right and left)
- A) Russian Twist (Medicine Ball or Dumbbell)
- B) Reverse Crunch (Lift hips up off the ground in a punching motion, straight up).
- A) Jump Squat
- B) Plank Spiderman Crunches (Opposite knee to elbow in high plank position).
I only explained the moves I fought you guys might need explaining on. If you need more details, let me know in the comments, and I’d be happy to further explain. Try it out and let me know how you feel at the end 😉
Runner Girl Eats says
Can never have too many tabata workouts…thanks!
Excited to try this workout! Love trying out new ones:) Thanks for posting!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project says
I don’t think I’ve ever done the plank bird dog before but it sounds like a yoga position. (I love yoga!) Thanks for sharing this! I love the top that you’re wearing!
Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment says
Love the outfit in the pic! Thanks for the workout.
This looks great. Question: should the workout last 32 minutes total? 4 mins for each circuit?
I just finished this workout! Sweat is still streaming down my face…..by the last round all I could do was hold plank…..kicked my butt! Thank you so much Sarah! I LOVE bodyweight workouts! I am going to use this workout tonight in rugby practice to show the girls a routine they can do at home to improve their fitness!