I am obsessed with sheet pan recipes especially when it comes to meal prep for the week. I like my recipes to be simple and the clean up quick and this Roasted Veggies and Chicken Sausage recipe checks all those boxes. I shared this recipe on an upcoming episode this weekend on Dining Playbook which airs on NESN. Be sure to check it out Saturday morning, 9/28.
I make this in addition to quinoa and buy baby mixed lettuces to eat as grain bowls and salads.
This fall, I’ve recommitted to cooking at home so that I can get the boys off their summer diet of french fries and chicken fingers and is my new go to. I make it usually on Monday, serve it to the boys and then use the leftover roasted veggies and chicken sausage on top of the quinoa or lettuce for delicious power bowls. It makes a lot but is minimal effort. To make things even easier, you could chop the veggies Sunday night!
When I cook, meal prepping or just dinner, I need things that can be ready effortlessly because I’m usually playing with the boys or playing referee while cooking. One of my favorite go to solutions when it comes to protein is al fresco all natural fully cooked chicken sausage. I like it because it has a clean label, made without artificial ingredients and the boys like it. It’s great in this recipe because unlike raw chicken breasts, you don’t have to season or worry about undercooking. I struggle cooking chicken if it’s not on a grill which I don’t have in the city. It’s great for fast, weeknight meals and ready in minutes.
Al Fresco All Natural Chicken Sausage is also great for sheet pan meal prep because in addition to taking minutes to cook, you can just throw it on the roasting tray to cook with the veggies and it turns out delicious. This cuts down in one less pan to clean afterwards.
For this recipe, I’m using the al fresco Apple Chicken Sausage but you can use other flavors of course like the roasted garlic. Roasted sweet potatoes taste like candy to me and are always a hit but you can of course switch out for regular potatoes as well as whatever vegetables may be available at your local farmers market or on sale at the grocery store. I like broccoli and cauliflower for this recipe as alternatives to peppers and onions.
Roasted Veggies + Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan
- 4 al fresco apple chicken sausage links, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 red pepper, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 orange pepper, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- rice, quinoa or whole grain, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Chop everything and then toss your sausage, peppers, sweet potato chunks, onion and garlic on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle oil over sausage and veggie mixture, sprinkle on salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Place the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Toss the mixture using a spatula and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste and serve over cooked rice, quinoa or bed of lettuce, if using.
This makes a lot but keeps really well in the refrigerator. I usually serve it for dinner Monday as I mentioned above and then have it on top of grains or greens Tuesday through Thursday. You can layer in a mason jar for easy transporting!
You can buy Al Fresco Chicken Sausage at your local grocery store including Shaws and Stop & Shop. Check out their website for more great recipes and be sure to tune into Dining Playbook on NESN September 14th to see Jenny Johnson and I cooking up this dish!
New to meal prep? Check out my meal prep 101 and go to meal prep meal ideas.
This post is sponsored by al fresco all natural chicken sausage.
Leave a Reply